Sunday, September 14, 2008

First week

Well, it has been quite a long time since I've been able to post! It has been quite a long and busy week since I first arrived. In the morning each day, we have had orientation with the school that we are attending while here: Carlos III (named after an important monarch from Spain). In the afternoon, the students of BC have been attending culture and language classes at a school called Sampere, located right next to the Central Park of Madrid: Retiro.
This morning I'm waking up at 8:00am (2am for most of you!) and it's still dark out. It's been something to get used to, the absence of sun until later in the day here. Soon, with tickets in hand, I'll be heading on the metro and then a bus to get to Carlos III for our first days of normal classes. Since I last posted, I've thoroughly enjoyed getting to know my family: madre, Elvira, and Belen. Meghan and I end up speaking to them in Spanish for an hour or more over meals and around the TV (blasting out hilarious Spanish soap operas, or often news about our american election). Unfortunately, I've slacked a bit this morning getting ready, reading the BC newspaper on-line, so now I must rush off to school. If you're interested, there's a great article from my friend and neighbor also staying in Madrid here:
http://media.www.bcheights.com/media/storage/paper144/news/2008/09/15/Features/World.Record.Madrid.Spain-3429840.shtml?reffeature=htmlemailedition
The picture used is of the royal cathedral and one that I took.

Also, I've been taking lots of pictures which can be found at:
www.shutterfly.com
username: sweenecm@gmail.com
password: pictures

I hope that everyone is doing well, and make sure to keep me updated on everything in the States!

No comments: