Sunday, September 21, 2008

Palace, El Rastro, and some interesting meals...

Right now I'm writing from our tv room of the TV house with my wonderful mother and two sisters of Spain, Elvira (madre), Elvira (hija) y Belén. We're watching Gran Hermano-or Big Brother, a still popular reality show here. Most of the tv shows I watch with my family would be considered very cheesy in the states. Right now I also should be working on my Teatro (theatre) homework that's due tomorrow, but have been putting off for much more diverting activities. Just to make sure that my parents know that I'm actually taking classes here, let me share the names:

Historia del Presente-all about what's going on in present day spain-politics, social issues, etc.
Teatro-reading 6 plays famous in Spain and analyzing
Idioma-Spanish language, practicing our skills and learning important conversational spanish.
Cuentos-short stories in spanish, analysis
Spanish Culture and Civilization- a class taken with the professor who corresponds with BC, a wonderful woman named Ana. We will go on trips, take notes, and write papers on Spanish life and history.

A little bit about my family...they're hilarious. They are extremely patient with Meghan and I while learning Spanish and love to fill us in on Spanish insults and humor. All three woman are very into fashion and love to recommend the perfect place for cheap this, or fashionable that. They are also not shy to voice their opinions, and make sure to ask why we didn't finish our plate, or their opinions on the looks of celebrities.


There have been many highlights in the past few days but I'll just go over a few briefly:

The Royal Palace: unfortunately I came down with a bad cold the other day, but was still able to appreciate the beauty and magnificance of the Royal Palace! Every single room (Apparently there are over 2,000 of them, yes, 2,000) is completely different and decorated with all sorts of cloth, paintings, etc.

El Rastro: An amazing market place that takes up at least a few streets of either side. You could find anything from shoes, to jewelry, to scarfs, ohh all sorts of great stuff. And as far as europe goes, it was all very inexpensive. Meghan, Jenny, and I very much enjoyed walking around and trying to barter in Spanish...it didn't work very well for any of us.

Meals: Spanish food certainly is some of the best in the world. Everyone loves the tapas, jamón, sangría, and pretty much anything served at a restaurant. With the families though, many of the students feel they have perhaps been served an overabundance of the culture. Let's just say, Spain is no place for a picky eater.

Capital: Spain is also known for it's night life. The other night a bunch of BC students went out to a discoteca, or nightclub for our friend, Andres's birthday. The discoteca was called Capital and had 7 floors, each with a different type of music, very exciting!

Well...I really must get to my actual homework. Make sure to send updates of anything going on in the US that we need or would want to know about!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Clare! It all sounds amazing, I'm so glad you're enjoying being abroad, do as much as you can, the time flies! have a great week

DB

Rosemary said...

That all sounds so fun! I'm glad you're exploring and having a great time. I'd like to meet your host sisters. -Rosemary

Anonymous said...

Hey Clare,
I'm soooooooooo jealous. It sounds like you are having and amazing experience. Wish I had skype!

Miss ya, and don't drink too much Sangria..............
Betsy

Anonymous said...

Hey Clare, I just caught up on your blog. That sounds so great. It was so much fun to read. Thanks for keeping us posted. I can't wait for Shannon and Megan to read it. Lots of love, Susie

P.S. Griffin says Hola!